With over two decades of collective experience, we are thrilled to bring Birthing From Within’s rich, meaningful and life-changing potential to expectant parents in metro Atlanta.
We offer labor doula and postpartum doula support, placenta encapsulation, and an abundant variety of classes.
Our work follows the guiding principles of Birthing From Within:
- Childbirth is a profound rite of passage.
- Parents’ individual needs and differences determine class content.
- The purpose of childbirth preparation is to prepare mothers to give birth in awareness, rather than to achieve a specific outcome.
- Pain is sometimes a part of childbirth, but much can be done to alleviate suffering.
- Partners help best as “birth guardians” or loving partners. They also benefit from preparation and support.
- Childbirth preparation is also parent preparation.
Why a childbirth class?
In ancient times women were surrounded by women as they grew and gave birth. A young girl often assisted at the births of her siblings. The sights, sounds, smells and experience of labor were normal for her. In our society we rarely speak of birth except as an emergency. In our society we often hear birth spoken of as an emergency.
Birth is a normal part of life–it is an emergence.
Our childbirth course helps couples understand what the human body is physiologically capable of, the psychology of how to allow that passage, and how both mother AND partner can be fully present without fear during the birth of their child. In class we introduce and practice over 40 strategies for coping with the intensity of labor and birth, as well as how to make decisions along the way. We also explore caring for your newborn as you get to know one another during those first few weeks.
Pioneers in childbirth in the 1950‘s realized that fear surrounding childbirth created tension, which intensified the pain and created more fear, tension and pain. This unending circle left many women feeling victimized by birth.
When women began to educate themselves, the intensity of childbirth grew manageable.
Why hire a Doula?
Studies show a:
- 50% reduction in cesarean births
- 60% reduction in epidural requests
- 25% decrease in the length of labor
- 40% reduction in oxytocin use
- 30% reduction in pain medication
- 40% reduction in forceps delivery
Long-term benefits include:
- Improved breast feeding
- Increased time spent with baby
- Decreased post partum depression
- Lower birth expenses
- Increased satisfaction with birth experience
Statistics from – “Continuous support during labor in a U.S. hospital
A randomized controlled trial.”
Kennell J, Klaus M, McGrath S, Robertson S, Hinkley C.
JAMA 1991 May 1;265(17):2197-201
We offer both labor and postpartum doula care. To read more about each service click below.
The placenta is perfectly created by your body to nourish your baby during pregnancy. Nearly all mammals consume their placenta after giving birth in order to retain the important nutrients and hormones. Placenta encapsulation allows you all the benefits of the placenta in a more palatable way. Consuming the encapsulated placenta helps balance your hormones, decrease the incidence of postpartum depression, increase energy and facilitate faster healing, lessen postpartum bleeding, and establish a healthy milk supply.